HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR LILI INTI BAG
Your Lili Inti bag is handcrafted from corn husk and is intrinsically unique. The bag may vary slightly in size, colour, and detail due to the nature of the material. If taken care of properly, your Lili Inti bag will last a lifetime. Although the bag is easy to take care of, here are some helpful guidelines.
Q. What should I be mindful of when carrying my Lili Inti bag?
- To preserve handbag shape and prevent the corn husk from cracking, avoid overfilling or overcrowding.
- To preserve the bag’s natural colour, avoid direct sun exposure for extended periods. • Avoid rubbing the bag against rough surfaces and protect it from sources of humidity, light, heat, liquid, and grease.
- Dark leather colours are sensitive and may slightly release in a wet environment. Take care when wearing with pale clothing.
Q. How do I clean the corn husk part of the bag?
- If the corn husk gets dirty, gently clean it with a dry soft brush. Do not wash or clean the corn husk with water.
Q. What should I do if the corn husk gets wet?
- Contact with moisture or humidity may result in mould which can be hard to remove. If the corn husk gets wet, dab it with a soft cloth to absorb the moisture. If necessary, stuff your Lili Inti bag with tissue or fabric to retain its shape, before air drying. Keep it away from direct sunlight and heat.
Q. How do I clean the leather part of the bag?
- To remove surface stains, brush the leather with a damp cloth. Once the leather is clean, use a soft dry towel to blot away any moisture. Allow the bag to dry at room temperature. For stubborn stains, cleaning by a leather professional is highly recommended.
Q. What should I do if the leather gets wet?
- If the leather becomes soggy, dab it with a soft cloth to absorb as much water as possible, before stuffing the bag with tissue or fabric to help retain its shape. Allow your Lili Inti bag to air dry, keeping it away from sunlight and heat. Never apply direct heat to wet leather — this will cause cracking and shrinking. Should your leather become wet, wipe gently with a soft cloth.
Q. How do I clean the suede part of the bag?
- Dust To remove dust and restore the fine appearance of your bag, use a brush bought from a specialist leather store. Do not use a regular brush on the suede as this can cause damage to the material.
- Stain Removal To remove stains from the suede, use a soft pencil eraser, or even better, buy a dedicated product for this purpose from a specialist leather store. Gently rub the stain with the eraser until it clears, then wipe down the bag with a clean cloth or brush.
- Periodic Professional Cleaning Even though you’ll clean your Lili Inti bag regularly, it’s best to take it to a professional suede cleaner once a year. The cleaner will give your bag a special treatment that you won’t be able to do yourself. Remember to inform the professional cleaner about the bag’s corn husk components and relevant care guidelines.
Q. What happens if the suede part of the bag gets wet?
- If the suede gets wet, leave it to dry at room temperature. Never apply direct heat or leave in the sun as this can discolour and warp the bag during the drying period. Follow the same instructions as for the wet leather.
Q. Where should I store my Lili Inti handbag?
- Store your Lili Inti bag in its dust bag on a flat base indoors, in a cool, dry place where the materials can breathe. This prevents the corn husk from developing mould and the leather from drying out and cracking. When not in use, we recommend stuffing your bag with tissue or fabric to help retain its shape.
- If you are storing your bag for an extended period of time (months and years) you may want to add some silica gel packs to the dust bag. This will help prevent moisture coming into contact with the corn husk and the leather.
Q. Is it bad to hang my handbag by the handles?
- Yes! Never store your bag by looping the handles over a doorknob or a wardrobe door. Doing this can damage the handles and cause the bag to warp.
Q. What else should I know or be aware of?
- Corn husk colour can vary from light to dark and even appear purple. These slight variations do not compromise the aesthetics of the bag and are completely natural and normal.
- Lili Inti has selected the best quality leather to create your bag. Any tonal variations, marks or veins are natural features and should not be considered as imperfections.
- With time, slight wear may be visible on the surface of the bag. This is expected of all materials and doesn’t affect the resistance or durability of your bag.